Have you ever heard about chakra and the role it plays in your emotional and physical well-being? However, you might have heard that along with its types during a yoga class or meditation. But, what’s their purpose, and how it benefits you?
In this article, we will break down everything you need to know about chakras for beginners, their types, and how to unblock them.
The seven chakras points in your body run from the base of the spine to the top of the head. To get benefits from these, you need to make sure your chakra energy centers are open. When they are unblocked, you have a positive and fresh outlook, faster wounds healing, and overall improved health. However, it is quite common that you may experience some physical or emotional symptoms that indicate any one of the chakras has been blocked.
So, let’s find out together!
It’s only been a few years since chakras have become more famous due to the increasing popularity of yoga and other new age philosophies. But if we consider the chakra background, these energy centers found their origin in India. It was first mentioned in Vedas, ancient texts of spiritual knowledge from 1500 BC to 1000 B.C.
Talking about the chakra meaning, it has the literal meaning of ‘Wheel’ in Sanskrit. Some people estimate around 1400 chakras to be present in the body. However, these seven chakras are the most common ones.
Types of Chakras
Here we’ll discuss the 7 chakras points, their locations, colors, and much more. So, let’s dive deep into the guide to know more about what does each chakra means?
The root chakra or Muladhara revolves around the base and foundation for your life and body. It encompasses our urges of survival needs and a sense of security. As we know that when these are fulfilled, we tend to worry less. Moreover, the root chakra stores all your childhood memories, whether your basic needs were fulfilled or not.
- Location: The root chakra is present at the base of the spine, pelvic floor, and first three vertebrae.
- When it’s blocked: You probably feel it blocked when you experience problems with bladder, colon, lower back, legs, and feet issues. The blocked chakra leads to feelings of fear, low self-esteem, and a sense of insecurity. When it’s unblocked, you feel safe, confident, and more secure.
- Color: Red
- Element: Earth
- Crystals: Red Jasper, Onyx & Hematite
- Yoga poses to activate it: Following yoga poses can help to activate this chakra, including Standing forward fold (Uttanasana), malasana squats, head to knee forward bend (Janu Sirsasana), etc.
- Develops around: 1-7 years
Thanks to the sacral chakra or Svadhisthana for all your creativity, emotions, and pleasures. Not only is it responsible for your feelings, but it also helps to understand others’ emotions. Lastly, this chakra links to your sexual desires, fertility, and fluidity.
- Location: Below the belly button and above the pubic bone.
- When it’s blocked: When it’s blocked, you might experience symptoms like urinary tract infection and lower back pain. You will feel uninspired, depressed, have any addictive behaviors, or will be emotionally unstable. However, when it is aligned, you are more creative, positive, and have sexual energy.
- Color: Orange
- Element: Water
- Crystals: Tiger’s eye & Sunstone
- Yoga poses to activate it: Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana), Reverse Warrior Pose (Viparita Virabhadrasana), Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana), etc.
- Develops around: 8-14 years
Solar Plexus Chakra
The Solar Plexus Chakra or Manipura, also known as anxiety chakra, allows you to be confident and have self-esteem. In reality, it brings control, purpose, and power to your life. When we talk about gut feeling and a sense of accomplishment, it’s because of this chakra.
- Location: Upper abdomen, in the stomach.
- When it’s blocked: Mostly related to digestive issues like ulcers, heartburns, indigestion, and also causes liver problems and diabetes. You will have low self-esteem, self-doubt, anger issues, and indecisiveness. When you unlock this chakra, you become more productive and confident.
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Crystals: Amber, Citrine & Pyrite
- Yoga poses to activate it: Dhanurasana (bow pose), Bhujangasana (cobra pose), Vajroli Mudra, etc.
- Develops around: 15-21 years
It is the heart chakra or Anahata that acts as a bridge between the upper and lower chakras. In other words, we can say it’s that chakra where physical and spiritual health meets. As the name ‘heart’ indicates, it’s all about showing love, forgiveness, and compassion for others.
- Location: In the mid of the chest, above the heart
- When it’s blocked: People having this chakra blocked will have difficulty opening up. They will feel lonely, insecure, and possessive. This chakra blockage leads to developing unhealthy relationships as well. However, when this chakra gets aligned, you can make healthy relationships and love unconditionally.
- Color: Green and pink
- Element: Air
- Crystals: Jade & Malachite
- Yoga poses to activate it: Anjaneyasana (Low Lunge), Natarajasana (Dancers Pose), reverse planks, etc.
- Develops around: 21-28 years old
If you can communicate your inner self correctly, then all this is due to throat chakra or Vishuddha. Also, it makes you listen and express emotions clearly and honestly. By channeling your true self, you will feel more confident and patiently listen to what others have to say about you.
- Location: As the name indicates, it is present in the throat
- When it’s blocked: Blockage of this chakra opening makes it challenging for you to find words to talk openly, or sometimes you become over-talkative and not listen to others. However, the realignment of this chakra makes it easy to communicate your emotions and listen to others.
- Color: Blue
- Element: Ether
- Crystals: Aquamarine, Kyanite & Lapis Lazuli
- Yoga poses to activate it: Plough Pose (Halasana), Fish pose, Head rolls, and gentle neck stretches.
- Develops around: 29-35 years
Third Eye Chakra
The third eye or Ajna chakra is intuition chakra that represents your intuition or what we say, ‘sixth sense’. Additionally, it helps you to feel your inner voices that sometimes we tend to ignore. If your this charka is open, you can better able to see the world through the bigger picture. This chakra allows you to feel, hear and trust your gut to make decisions and face challenges.
- Location: Between the eyes. That’s why it is also known as the brow chakra.
- When it’s blocked: You become narrow-minded, unsure, and more judgmental. It results in feeling anxiety, headaches, and hearing problems as well. If it’s open, you can better understand the world and its true image.
- Color: Dark Blue/ Purple
- Element: Light
- Crystals: Purple Fluorite, Amethyst & Labradorite.
- Yoga poses to activate it: Wide-Legged Forward Fold, Candle Gazing (Trataka), and AUM (Ajna Bija Mantra).
- Develops around: 36-42 years old
It is the most spiritual chakra among all seven. This chakra, also known as the thousand-petal lotus, connects you spiritually, instilling a high level of consciousness. It makes you aware of everything besides your emotional, personal and intellectual needs. You truly feel enlightenment through the crown chakra or Sahasrara as it brings inner wisdom and cosmos.
- Location: At the Top of Head
- When it’s blocked: You rely on an external source of the world to seek true happiness if it gets blocked. It results in feeling a sense of disconnection and energetically low. At the same time, you can also experience skepticism, stubbornness, and narrow-mindedness.
- Color: Violet/ White
- Element: Divine Consciousness
- Crystals: Selenite, clear quartz & lepidolite.
- Yoga poses to activate it: Savasana (Corpse Pose), Vrksasana (Tree Pose), and Makarasana (Crocodile Pose).
- Develops around: 43-49 years old
Chakras points are the energy centers in your body that, on the blockage, influence our mind, body, and spirit. While there are seven different chakras, as explained above, having distinct properties, they work together in a group.
So, if there is a blockage in any one of them, it can affect the rest. However, different yoga poses and meditation can help unlock chakra and work them effectively to experience a healthier, disciplined, and expressive version of yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some simple ways you can work to unblock chakras:
- Different chakra yoga poses
- Chakra Meditation
- Breathing practices
Every charka has its own distinctive symptoms, depending on it, you can easily find which of your chakra is blocked. However, if you feel low and lazy, in stress, and pain in your legs, it means that your chakra is blocked.
The weakest among all of your seven chakras is the first chakra, i.e., the root chakra. Further, it is present at the base of the pelvic region and has a connection to the basic needs of your life, including food, finances, security, etc.
Solar Plexus Chakra helps to bring control, power and have a purpose in your life. When this chakra is blocked, it leads to developing anxiety, fears, and loss of control.
As the foundation of the chakras is the root chakra, so you should always open it first. It will make you grounded; otherwise, you will feel insecurity, fears, etc.
Yes, it’s completely safe to open chakras to restore your mental and physical energy, and let the creative juices flow back again in your body. However, if blocked for a long time can cause serious complications. So, make sure to open it timely.