Thunderbolt Pose or Vajrasana pose is a simple sitting yoga pose. Its name comes from the Sanskrit word vajra, which means thunderbolt or diamond.
For this pose, you kneel and then sit back on your legs to take the weight off your knees. Breathing and meditative exercises are often done in this position, which is said to help your body become as strong as a diamond.
Keep reading to learn how to do Vajrasana Pose and the many positive benefits it provides.
Benefits and Contraindications
Enhances blood circulation in the lower abdomen improving digestion.
If you sit in Vajrasana after food, food gets digested well.
Relieves excessive gas trouble or pain.
Nerves of legs, thighs are strengthened.
Makes knee and ankle joints flexible and prevents certain rheumatic diseases.
In Vajrasana spine is erect without much effort. It is also beneficial for practice of pranayam and as a preparatory for meditation.
Acute trouble or stiffness in foot, ankle and knees.
Slip disc conditions.
Those who have difficulty in movement should practice this asana with a lot of care.
Photo poses in different angles
If you find the Vajrasana pose uncomfortable, ask your yoga instructor to make sure that you’re doing it correctly. Some techniques you can use to ease discomfort include:
- For ankle pain, consider putting a folded blanket or other uniform padding under your shins. Position the blanket so your toes hang off the back.
- For knee pain, consider placing a rolled or folded blanket or towel across your calves and tucking it behind your knees.
- For sitting discomfort, place a yoga block between your feet horizontally. By supporting some of your weight, this can take pressure off ankles and knees.
While in Vajrasana it is necessary to breathe taking the mind to the Mooladhara Chakra and expand the spine upwards to the maximum keeping the shoulders, neck, head and hip in alignment. Slowly with practice this pose should focus on the Anahata and Ajna Chakra with deep breathing. Inhale expand the spine and exhale contract the spine without loosing the posture.
- Thunderbolt Pose Hips Circles
- Thunderbolt Pose Head Back
- Thunderbolt Pose Reverse Prayer Arms Partner
- Thunderbolt Pose On Toes Shoulder Retraction
- Sun Salutation
- Eagle Pose
- Bound Angle Pose
- Staff Pose
- Corpse Pose