Wheel Pose - Chakrasana
Wheel Pose or Chakrasana (Sanskrit chakra means wheel, and asana – posture), is also called Full Wheel Pose and Upward-Facing Bow Pose. You may also find this pose in Sanskrit as Urdhva Dhanurasana. It’s a back-bending posture that helps to open up your chest and tone your thighs, abdomen, and arms. Practicing it will engage your entire body. As a heart-opening stretch, this pose helps release sadness and depression.
- Body Position: Arm & Leg Support, Backbend Yoga Poses
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Shoulder Opening Yoga Poses
- Difficulty: Intermediate
Benefits and Contraindications
Lengthens the hip flexors and strengthens the hamstrings
Strengthens the spine extensors, arms, legs, and abdomen
Helps relieve ailments of the reproductive organs
Boosts energy levels
Helps improve blood circulation to the entire body
Creates space in the ribcage and diaphragm helping you breathe fully
Cervical spine, shoulder or lower back pathologies
Ankle, knee, hip, or wrist injury
High blood pressure
Diarrhea or constipation
Cardiac conditions such as ischemia
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props & Tips
- Work on Bridge pose and shoulder mobility poses to help prepare for the front body opening.
- To prevent your knees and feet from splaying out to the sides, pay particular attention to your inner thighs, engaging them to rotate your thighs inwards, thereby stabilizing your knees.
- Work on your shoulders mobility using the yoga strap.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
Too many fitness bags look cute but just never seem to have enough storage, especially...
Top Preparatary Poses
- Standing Backbend
- Cobra Pose
- Bridge Pose
Top Follow-Up Pose
- Knees to Chest pose
- Happy Baby Pose
- Seated Forward Bend