Whether you are looking to get in shape, or simply just improve your overall health and mindset, yoga is one of the most effective ways to achieve your goal. The best weight loss yoga for beginners will help you start small and gradually build your way up to becoming an expert in the field. It might be time-consuming, but your results will be worth it.
In the following article, we will be looking at some of the many forms of yoga that you can do in the comfort of your home. Many of these methods are dedicated to helping beginners get a liking in the workouts without causing too much fatigue. Additionally, we look at a few insights and references to the effect yoga can have on your mind and body.
Yoga on its own might not help you lose weight. A balanced diet is recommended with any form of exercise that you do. However, yoga has many other benefits that it can offer beginners, ranging from mental to body composition benefits. We have compiled a shortlist of the most common benefits that you will notice with starting:
- Mental Wellbeing: One of the very first is overall mental wellbeing and becoming one with your mind. Yoga is proven to stimulate hormones in the mind that can lead to improved awareness and being more mindful of your surroundings. Additionally, it can lead to increased motivation to take on goals and get ready for the challenges life offers.
- Improved Metabolism: Some of the many forms of yoga require a bit of strenuous activity. These activities are created in such a fashion that they will improve your overall wellbeing, while also building muscle. Building muscle is proven to increase your basal metabolic rate or BMR. This leads to a further increase in weight loss potential from performing yoga.
- Toning Muscles: Even experts can get into yoga. However, you might find that being a bodybuilder and doing yoga are completely different, but holds many benefits. Yoga can help tone muscles and rid your body of stubborn fat. While the targeted fat reduction is impossible, it can help tone the finer muscle around your body.
- Increased Flexibility: As part of the fitness benefits, yoga can help increase the overall flexibility and blood flow around the body. An increase in blood flow can lead to more oxygen, which leads to improved respiratory function. The flexibility will improve your bodily function, while potentially avoiding negligent injuries from unnatural movements.
- Better Overall Health: All the above-mentioned features can be summed up in one section, which is better overall health. When you consider the cumulative effect of these benefits, you will notice an overall increase in energy. The increase can also be described as euphoric at first but is related to the spike of dopamine in the brain.
If you are tired of carrying along with some extra weight, you can efficiently get rid of it by performing various forms of yoga. As we have mentioned, not every form of yoga is the same and many are mostly targeted at the mind. However, the following beginner yoga for weight loss will be effective for weight reduction and body composition changes.
- Ashtanga Yoga. Ashtanga Yoga is one of the older forms of yoga, also known as 8-limbed yoga, which stimulates the entire body and muscle groups. While yoga mainly focuses on the mental aspect of healing and meditation, there are a few physical classes that one can choose to take. It involves a progressive approach to a series of movements that are systematically carried out. Ashtanga also includes another subsection of yoga called Ashtanga-Vinyasa Yoga. This form of yoga is a bit more rigorous and requires a lot of physical intensity. However, is one of the most effective ways to lose weight. Beginners might need to take it slow coming out of the gate and gradually build-up to the desired level. Since you don’t necessarily need to follow a specific teacher, yoga is a definitive method that can be used in the comfort of your own home. Most moves are elegantly performed and since they are systematic, there is no jumping between different moves. Ashtanga Yoga is the perfect Do-It-Yourself yoga to perform in the comfort of your own home.
- Vinyasa Yoga. Vinyasa yoga is slightly different from the traditional form of yoga and it is commonly practiced among elite fitness enthusiasts. While yoga can be performed by many beginners, it is mostly recommended for the more experienced individuals due to the systematic procedure that requires a lot of movement. When compared to Ashtanga Yoga, it is a bit more fast-paced and combined with a few additional cardiovascular movements. Many of these movements might take a little more time for one to master, but will lead to an increase in muscle tone and eventually fitness. Vinyasa is perfect for improving respiratory health and muscle tone. While it can be performed by most beginners, a little time and training are highly recommended. If you find yourself in the overweight class of society, you should spend some time training to lose fat to perform this advanced form.
- Power Yoga. If you are willing to perform a bit more strenuously on your yoga mat, power yoga is one of the best ways that one can go about losing weight and improving overall muscle strength. It might take some time to master power yoga, but beginners in the bodybuilding industry might find that it has a close resemblance to Pilates. Power yoga is traditionally designed as a concept to help improve muscle definition and tone. Since the person practicing yoga will notice an increase in overall power, they will gradually start building more muscle. As we have mentioned, the increased muscle will naturally take more calories to maintain, leading to weight loss. Anyone at home can join in with power yoga. Not only does it help to build muscle, but it generally helps you burn more calories altogether. By combining the various poses that one will encounter, you will notice that all the different parts of the body get to be improved. Overall, it is a great way to stimulate muscle atrophy.
While every form of yoga has its poses that are generally combined into a routine to stimulate specific aspects of weight loss. There are a few common poses that many yoga practitioners will recommend to speed up weight loss. The following weight loss poses will be perfect for beginners getting started:
Warrior Pose I
As per Hindu Mythology, ‘ Virabhadra’, was the name of a ‘Warrior’, created by Lord Shiva. Hence this pose comes from the creation of the fiercest warrior by Lord Shiva and so the name goes as ‘Virabhadrasana’ or ‘Warrior’ Pose. In Sanskrit ‘Vira’ means ‘Hero’ ‘Warrior’ ‘Vigorous’ and ‘Courageous’, and ‘Bhadra’ means ‘good’ ‘auspicious’. Considered to be a powerful posture replicating the power of a warrior, this pose is the first variation amongst the many under warrior poses. The importance of practicing this pose is emphasised clearly in all schools of yoga as it forms a part of the standing poses which includes balance, stability and stamina. To balance the body with feet more than hip distance apart and raising the arms above your head while gazing at them, requires one to connect the body with the breath. Practicing the alignment of the feet and the knees, along with the torso marks as a great pose to add beauty to one’s body. Warrior Pose I is considered a base pose as warrior pose i variations can be derived from this pose.Warrior Pose I helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences. Step-by-Step Instructions
Warrior Pose II
As per Hindu Mythology, Virabhadra was the name of a Warrior created by Lord Shiva. Hence this pose comes from the creation of the fiercest warrior by Lord Shiva and so the name goes as Virabhadrasana or Warrior Pose. This pose is considered as a difficult pose as the body alignment needs to be accurate, but is generally categorized as an Intermediate Level Pose or Beginner Level Pose. Its is said that the power of this pose can be felt only if one is extremely flexible and stable with their body balance. Virabhadrasana II is one of the many variations of Virabhadrasana Pose. Warrior Pose Ii is considered a base pose as warrior pose ii variations can be derived from this pose.Warrior Pose Ii helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences. Step-by-Step Instructions
Warrior Pose III
Most of the Warrior Poses are considered difficult under the category of Standing and Balancing Asanas. The Warrior Pose brings a lot of power and energy within the body and is hence considered as a Pose of a Warrior. Warrior Pose Iii is considered a base pose as warrior pose iii variations can be derived from this pose.Warrior Pose Iii helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences. Step-by-Step Instructions
Setubandhasana; setu=bridge, bandha=bind /lock. So as the name suggests the pose resembles a bridge. Here the entire spine is so beautifully curved and away from the floor/mat , which causes a bridge. As the effect of this pose is more to do with the spine , it sure works on toning the muscles around the spine. This pose can be categorised under the Intermediate Level of Asanas and under the lying down category. This pose cannot be described as just the raising of the spine and balancing it there half way in the air. This pose has a lot of scientific benefits to it when compared to other asanas. The alignment of the body right from the feet to the head should be understood well to ensure the maximum benefit of this pose. The flow of this pose is as follows. Bridge Pose is considered a base pose as bridge pose variations can be derived from this pose.Bridge Pose helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences. Step-by-Step Instructions
Downward Facing Dog Pose
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) is named as such because in this yoga pose body looks like that of a dog (Svana) relaxing and stretching while burrowing its face (Mukha) downwards (Adho) towards the shoulders. Downward Facing Dog Pose is considered a base pose as downward facing dog pose variations can be derived from this pose.Downward Facing Dog Pose helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences. Step-by-Step Instructions
The best method to lose weight in the comfort of your home is yoga, especially when you don’t have direct access to a fitness facility. However, the Weight Loss Yoga For Beginners At Home will ensure that you can improve your overall mindfulness and awareness without having to force yourself into ruthless workouts.
How much weight can you lose by doing yoga?
There are many reports of individuals that have lost a lot of weight performing yoga. However, recent studies have shown that performing certain studies of up to 10-years, one can lose about 55-pounds depending on your starting weight.
Which type of yoga is best for weight loss?
It is hard to pinpoint one specific form of yoga that can work for everyone. Various forms of yoga are available. However, the above-mentioned options are some of the best when it comes to beginners.
Can you lose weight by doing yoga at home?
The simple answer is YES. As indicated in the article, one can see all the positive effects of yoga and the potential to lose weight.
What is the easiest exercise to lose weight fast?
Any form of cardiovascular exercise can help you lose weight relatively fast. However, yoga is one of the many proven methods that will boost metabolism.