Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) is named as such because in this yoga pose body looks like that of a dog (Svana) relaxing and stretching while burrowing its face (Mukha) downwards (Adho) towards the shoulders.
Downward Facing Dog Pose is considered a base pose as downward facing dog pose variations can be derived from this pose.Downward Facing Dog Pose helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences.
- Body Position: Abdominal Down
- Difficulty: Beginners
- Joint Mobility Direction: Longitudinal Stretch
- Poses According To Their Functions: Physical Training
- Strengthening Yoga Poses: Poses For Arms Strengthening
- Poses for Your Legs Flexibility: Poses for Your Ankles Flexibility, Poses for Your Hips Flexibility, Poses for Your Knees Flexibility
- Yoga Poses for Flexibility: Poses for Your Arms Flexibility, Poses for Your Legs Flexibility, Poses for Your Spine Flexibility
- Poses for Your Spine Flexibility: Poses for Your Chest Flexibility, Poses for Your Lower Back Flexibility
- Poses for Your Arms Flexibility: Poses for Your Shoulders Flexibility
- Physical Training: Strengthening Yoga Poses, Yoga Poses for Flexibility
- Poses By Benefit: Yoga Poses for Back Pain, Yoga Poses for Calmness, Yoga Poses for Digestion, Yoga Poses for Energy, Yoga Poses for Insomnia, Yoga Poses for Menopause, Yoga Poses for Sciatica and Nerve Pain, Yoga Poses for Sinusitis, Yoga Poses for Stress
Benefits and Contraindications
Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
Energizes the body
Stretches the shoulders, hamstrings, calves, arches, and hands
Strengthens the arms and legs
Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
Relieves menstrual discomfort when done with head supported
Helps prevent osteoporosis
Relieves headache, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue
Therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Pregnancy: Do not do this pose late-term.
High blood pressure or headache: Support your head on a bolster or block, ears level between the arms.
Photo poses in different angles
A lot of the yoga poses can be practiced initially with the help of yoga blocks , cushions and support from wall. In this yoga pose too there are variations:
– Wrist support with yoga blocks or blankets.
– Wall support to avoid falling and to get better grip.
– Bend the knees, if hamstrings are inflexible or when the back in weak.
- Three Legged Downward Facing Dog Pose Chair
- Standing Forward Fold Block Downward Facing Dog Flow
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Wall Rope Crossed Block
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Variation Toes
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Blocks
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Transition Flow
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Variation Both Knees Bent Chair
- Three Legged Downward Facing Dog Pose Push Ups
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Blocks Under Feet
- Downward Facing Dog Pose Blocks Variation Knees Bent
- Three Legged Downward Facing Dog Pose Aerial
- Upward Facing Dog Pose
- Table Top Pose
- Child Pose
- Three Legged Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Standing Forward Fold Pose
- Plank Pose