Half Camel Pose - Ardha Ustrasana
Half Camel Pose or Ardha Ustrasana is pronounced as ‘ ardha-oosh-TRAHS-anna’. The meaning of ardha is half ustra is camel and asana indicates yoga poses. It’s a simple back-bending yoga pose known to open Anahata (Heart chakra).
One hand rests on the heel and the other remains lifted toward the sky, lessening the spinal arch. However, Half Camel Pose still brings the powerful benefits of a chest opener and backbend.
- Body Position: Backbend Yoga Poses
- Difficulty: Beginners
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Shoulder Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
Benefits and Contraindications
Stimulates abdominal organs
Loosens the vertebrae and stimulates the spinal nerves
Improves the function of the respiratory system
Stimulates the thyroid gland
Increases blood circulation to brain
Helps to improve Posture
High blood pressure
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props and Tips
- If the student is a beginner, extend and arch back by placing both hands on lower back only
- Use a chair as a prop behind the legs and use the seat of the chair to support hands while opening chest.
- If you feel pressure on knees and ankles, you can place a folded blanket under them.
- If your hands cannot reach the heels, tuck the toes under or use a yoga block.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
If you ask a beginner yogi to make a list of common yoga equipment, nine...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
- Pigeon Pose
- Camel Position With Strap And Wall
- Camel Pose With Blocks
- Camel Pose With One Leg in Front
- Camel Pose With Hands on Buttocks