Dove Pose - Vajra Kapotasana
Dove Pose, or Vajra Kapotasana (VAHJ-rah kah-poh-TAHS-anna) is a deep and challenging backbend that tones the spine and expands the chest. From reclining Hero Pose, the practitioner places their palms near their head and straightens their arms, lifting their thighs and torso from the ground in a deep arch.
It is an advanced asana of the Ashtanga Yoga series in terms of the strength and flexibility required to get into this pose.
- Difficulty: Advanced
- Body Position: Backbend Yoga Poses
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Shoulder Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
Benefits and Contraindications
Strengthens your shoulders and knees
Stretches your quadriceps and chest muscles
Increases blood circulation in your spine and head
Lower back or neck injury
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props and Tips
- If you’re finding it a challenge to be in Dove Pose and to create the bend, it’s fine to keep your hands further from your feet as you get started. Practice it with your hands and elbows further from the body. That can get you a sense of how the pose feels and how the back flexibility works. Over time you can have the hands approach the feet more closely. Always listen closely to your body. The aim is to gently stretch it without injuring it. Patience is a virtue with this pose.
- There’s a lot of force being put down into the knees in this backbend pose. If your knees are causing you trouble for any reason, put a cushioned blanket beneath them to spread out the impact.
- If you’re having trouble leaning back and putting weight on your wrists, instead lean back with your hands on your hips and let your elbows take the weight. Start right from the beginning having your weight on those elbows. If you’re not able to do that part, practice just with that. Practice being on your knees and carefully leaning back to rest on your elbows.
Frequently Asked Questions
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
How Foam Rollers Help Loosen Muscles Foam rollers have had little research on how it...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
Leggings are, without a doubt, the best article of clothing for practicing yoga. Ideally, they...
Top Preparatory Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Bow Pose
- Reclined Thunderbolt Pose
- Thunderbolt Pose