Half Frog Pose (Ardha Bhekasana) is a beginner level, hip and back stretch yoga pose to provide strength to hips, feet, knees, chest, neck, and the back. The name begins with half or ardha due to its asymmetric behavior which means only one leg is stretched. The practice of Half Frog Pose is highly effective on the lower back and forming part of the backbend yoga sequence, this pose also helps to open the chest acting as a heart opener too.
The pose can be included in daily yoga especially for corporate workers, runners, swimmers, or for complete body flexibility. Half Frog Pose prepares the hips, legs, and shoulders for other deep backbend poses like Frog Pose and Bow Pose. Half Frog Pose can be included in Vinyasa Yoga Sequences to strengthen the hips, knees, and ankles for further advanced poses or can be practiced as cooling or counterpose, post the practice of intense hip openers. The pose also has a great effect on the arms including biceps and triceps muscles.
- Body Position: Abdominal Down
- Difficulty: Beginners
- Poses According To Their Functions: Physical Training
- Strengthening Yoga Poses: Poses For Arms Strengthening, Poses For Body Strengthening
- Yoga Poses For Your Organs: Poses for Your Bladder, Poses for Your Kidneys
- Poses for Your Legs Flexibility: Poses for Your Knees Flexibility
Benefits and Contraindications
Stretches the entire front of the body, ankles, thighs and groins, abdomen and chest, and throat, and deep hip flexors (psoas)
Strengthens the back muscles
Stimulates the organs of the abdomen
High or low blood pressure
Low back, neck or shoulder injuries
Photo poses in different angles
- You can support your upper body, placing a bolster under your chest and armpits
- You can use a strap looped around your foot if you can’t reach it with ease.
- Reaching your foot, without turning your hand forward may be intense enough for your quadriceps.
- Striking Cobra Pose
- Cobra Pose Variation Elbows Leg
- Cobra Pose Chair
- Crocodile Pose On Elbows
- Cobra Pose Variation Elbows
- Cobra Pose Variation Arms
- Cobra Pose Variation Hips
- Cobra Pose Variation Elbows One Knee
- Cobra Pose Variation Elbows Back
- Sphinx Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Locust Pose
- Frog Pose II
- Bow Pose
- Downward Facing Dog Pose