Sphinx Pose - Salamba Bhujangasana
Sphinx Pose or Salamba Bhujangasana in Sanskrit (salamba, meaning “supported,” bhujanga, meaning “cobra,” and asana, meaning “pose”) is a gentle backbend suitable for most beginners. It lengthens the abdominal muscles, strengthens the spine, and firms the buttocks. It also stretches and opens the chest, lungs, and shoulders. It invigorates the body, soothes the nervous system, and is also therapeutic for fatigue.
Sphinx Pose is considered a base pose as Sphinx pose variations can be derived from this pose. Sphinx Pose is considered a warm-up yoga pose to prepare the body for more intense yoga poses/yoga flows.
- Difficulty: Beginners
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses
- Body Position: Prone Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
Benefits and Contraindications
Stabilizes the shoulders.
Myofascial release of the abdomen.
Increases tissue excursion after abdominal surgery (with guidance after 8 weeks) strengthens back musculature.
Lengthens of the abdominal wall without over-stretching the anterior hip capsule.
Recent or chronic injury to the back, arms or shoulders.
Recent abdominal surgery.
Photo poses in different angles
- Roll up a towel and arrange it in a U-shape on the floor. Lie with the bottom of the U just above your pubic bone and the legs of the U under the sides of your belly to help support the belly lift.
- If you have a lot of stiffness or soreness in your neck and shoulders or are pregnant, you can stand against a wall and press your forearms into it. Stand close to the wall, and mimic the heart-opening and back-bending posture you would have if you did the pose on your yoga mat.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sphinx Pose On Blocks And Bolster
- Sphinx Pose Elbows Strap
- Sphinx Pose With Bolster Under Elbows
- Sphinx Pose Against A Wall
Top Preparatory Poses
Top Follow-Up Poses
If you are just starting to practice, you might be overwhelmed by the sheer volume...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...