Salamba Bhujangasana (Sphinx Pose) is a gentle backbend pose that students are introduced to at the beginner level forming part of prone poses. The practice of Sphinx Pose is gentle on the lower back and forming part of the backbend yoga sequence, this pose also helps to open the chest acting as a heart opener.
Sphinx Pose is considered a base pose as sphinx pose variations can be derived from this pose.Sphinx Pose is considered a warm-up yoga pose to prepare the body for more intense yoga poses / yoga flows.
- Body Position: Abdominal Down
- Difficulty: Beginners
- Joint Mobility Direction: Longitudinal Stretch
- Poses According To Their Functions: Physical Training
- Yoga Poses For Your Organs: Poses for Your Bladder, Poses for Your Kidneys, Poses for Your Lungs, Poses for Your Pelvis
- Poses for Your Spine Flexibility: Poses for Your Lower Back Flexibility
- Poses By Benefit: Yoga Poses for Digestion, Yoga Poses for Energy
Benefits and Contraindications
Stabilizes the shoulders.
Myofascial release of the abdomen.
Increases tissue excursion after abdominal surgery (with guidance after 8 weeks) strengthens back musculature.
Lengthens of the abdominal wall without over-stretching the anterior hip capsule.
Recent or chronic injury to the back, arms or shoulders.
Recent abdominal surgery.
Photo poses in different angles
Roll up a towel and arrange it in a U-shape on the floor. Lie with the bottom of the U just above your pubic bone and the legs of the U under the sides of your belly to help support the belly lift.
- Sphinx Pose On Blocks And Bolster
- Sphinx Pose Legs Raised Aerial
- Sphinx Pose Elbows Strap
- Sphinx Pose With Bolster Under Elbows
- Sphinx Pose Variation Leg Movement
- Cobra Pose Variation Feet Wide
- Sphinx Pose Thread The Needle Variation
- Sphinx Pose With Eagle Legs
- Sphinx Pose With Bolster Under Chest
- Sphinx Pose Bound Angle Legs Wall
- Puppy Dog Pose
- Child Pose
- Plank Pose
- Cobra Pose
- Seal Pose
- Child Pose