Reclining Hero Pose - Supta Virasana
Reclining Hero Pose or Supta Virasana in Sanskrit (“supta”, meaning lying down, “vir”, meaning hero; and “asana”, meaning pose or posture.) is an extremely versatile posture. This yoga asana involves reclining back onto the floor while in the hero pose position It gives a thorough stretch to the legs and abdomen, increases the mobility of the hips and spine, and opens the groins.
Through the prism of this single asana, we see the entire subject of yoga encapsulated. The stretch given to the legs and the spine makes it a great pose to incorporate into the flexibility yoga sessions. Its calming effect on the nervous system means it can be used for repose within a sequence. It has a powerful recuperative nature, making it a useful therapeutic tool for many ailments.
- Body Position: Backbend Yoga Poses, Supine Yoga Poses
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Restorative Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Periods
Benefits and Contraindications
Strengthens the arches
Stretches the abdomen, thighs and deep hip flexors (psoas), knees, and ankles
Helps relieves the symptoms of menstrual pain
Relieves tired legs
Partially blocked arteries
Knee or ankle injury
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications and Props for Beginners
In Reslining Hero Pose, props can be used in different ways to align and hold the proper position of body;
- Yoga block –While leaning backward place a block under your hips. It will prevent the hip from lifting off the floor.
- Yoga strap –For preventing the thighs sliding apart while holding the pose bind your thighs together with a strap.
- Bolster –You can perform supta virasana by keeping a bolster on your back. Here, when you lean back you can rest your head and back on the bolster.
- Bolster with blocks –Keep two blocks under the bolster one vertically and the other horizontally. Making this stand by the blocks and put the bolster obliquely on it. Now, lean back on it, this will keep the knees together and grounded.
- Yoga strap aerially –For this hang a strap above your head. As you lean back you can raise your hands and hold the strap, this helps in maintaining balance while leaning on the back.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
- Hero Pose
- One Leg Folded Forward Bend Pose
- Reclining Hero Pose With Blocks
- Couch Pose
- Reclining Thunderbolt Pose