The English translation of the Sanskrit term ‘Bhadra’ is ‘throne’. Bhadrasana means “the posture of the throne”. In other texts, you may find this yoga pose under the name Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose). Baddha means ‘bound’, ‘caught’, ‘held’, and Konasana means ‘angle’. Baddha Konasana is one of the prominent yoga poses mentioned in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
Bound Angle Pose is considered a base pose as bound angle pose variations can be derived from this pose.
- Difficulty: Beginners
- Joint Mobility Direction: Lateral Stretch
- Poses According To Their Functions: Physical Training
- Poses for Your Legs Flexibility: Poses for Your Hips Flexibility, Poses for Your Knees Flexibility
- Yoga Poses For Your Organs: Poses for Your Kidneys, Poses for Your Pelvis
- Poses By Benefit: Yoga Poses for Anxiety and Panic Attack, Yoga Poses for Asthma, Yoga Poses for Calmness, Yoga Poses for Depression, Yoga Poses for Fatigue, Yoga Poses for Infertility, Yoga Poses for Menopause, Yoga Poses for Pregnancy, Yoga Poses for Sciatica and Nerve Pain, Yoga Poses for Stress
Benefits and Contraindications
Stimulates abdominal organs, ovaries and prostate gland, bladder, and kidneys.
Stimulates the heart and improves general circulation.
Stretches the inner thighs, groins, and knees.
Helps relieve mild depression and anxiety.
Soothes menstrual discomfort and sciatica.
Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause.
Therapeutic for flat feet, high blood pressure, infertility, and asthma.
Consistent practice of this pose until late into pregnancy is said to help ease childbirth.
Traditional texts say that Baddha Konasana destroys disease and gets rid of fatigue.
Groin or knee injury: Only perform this pose with blanket support under the outer thighs.
Photo poses in different angles
- Sit up on a cushion or a folded blanket to encourage your pelvis to tilt forward
- Seated Butterfly Pose
- Bound Angle Pose Blocks
- Bound Angle Pose Arms Behind
- Bound Angle Pose Feet Thighs Partner
- Inverted Butterfly Pose Twist Variation Aerial
- Bound Angle Pose Forward Bend Hands Feet Aerial
- Womb Staff Pose
- Revolved Butterfly Pose Hand Variation
- Half Butterfly Pose Variation Forward Bend
- Upward Star Pose Feet Arms Overhead
- Revolved Bound Angle Pose
- Seated Forward Bend Pose
- Head To Knee Pose
- Garland Pose
- Butterfly Pose A
- Butterfly Pose Variation Forward Bend
- Bound Angle Forward Bend