Bird Of Paradise Pose - Svarga Dvijasana
Bird Of Paradise Pose or Svarga Dvijasana in Sanskrit (Svarga means ‘heaven’, Dvij means ‘twice born’, and asana means ‘pose’.) gets its name because it is compared to the Bird of Paradise flower, which grows horizontally and has a long stem. Here, our body resembles this flower in a pose: the petals are represented with an extended leg, and the stem with a balancing leg. Once in this pose the body is compared to the beauty of this flower.
Bird Of Paradise Pose is a standing posture that opens your hips, strengthens your core and back, and lengthens your hamstrings. This pose challenges your flexibility, balance, and focus alike, and can be a great hip opener if you spend a lot of time sitting.
- Difficulty: Advanced
- By Type: Balancing Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Body Position: Standing Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Stress Relief
Benefits and Contraindications
Improves hip, groin and hamstring flexibility
Opens the chest and shoulders
Strengthens the legs and core
Improves balance and stability
Shoulder injury and hamstring injury
High or low blood pressure
Modifications, Props and Tips
- If you are in the initial stages of this pose, you do not need to stretch your leg completely upwards. Come halfway and try balancing this pose while keeping your stretched leg parallel to the ground in a way that your legs make an inverted ‘L’ shape.
- Rather than binding your arms at the thighs, hold your shin with one arm and keep the other arm parallel to the balancing leg.
- You can also increase the stretch in your arms and hold the toes of the upward stretched leg.
- Use a yoga strap to make the bind in case of any discomfort in your shoulders.
- Beginners can practice this pose by sitting on the chair for extra support.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you ask a beginner yogi to make a list of common yoga equipment, nine...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
Leggings are, without a doubt, the best article of clothing for practicing yoga. Ideally, they...
- Reclining Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose
- Bound Side Angle Pose
- Standing Hand To Big Toe Pose
- Sage Visvamitra's pose