Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose - Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
Extended Hand-To-Big Toe Pose or Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana Utthita Hasta Padangustasana (oo-tee-tah ha-sta pad-an-goosh-TAHS-anah) utthita = extended, hasta = hand, pada = foot, angusta = big toe, also known as extended hand-to-toe pose, is a challenging and invigorating posture that stretches and strengthens while calming the mind and improving focus.
- Difficulty: Advanced, Intermediate
- By Type: Balancing Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- : Difficulty
- Body Position: Standing Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Stress Relief
Benefits and Contraindications
Improves sense of balance
Helps relieve tight hamstrings
Strengthens feet, legs, arms and abdomen muscles
Sharper focus and better concentration
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props and Tips
- It’s more important to keep your spine straight and your shoulders relaxed than it is to straighten your lifted leg. You can keep your lifted leg bent, or use a strap if you need to, but be sure your spine stays tall and upright throughout the pose.
- Be sure to use a strap and make any other adjustments you need to ensure that you’re not pushing yourself too hard in this pose. Be patient. You will gain flexibility in time.
- Keep the knee and foot of your standing leg facing directly forward.
- Focus on the stretch, not on the lift! It doesn’t matter how high your leg goes if you don’t have correct alignment. Work toward maintaining an equal balance of energy and effort in both legs.
- Take it slowly and don’t be afraid to fall! If you do fall, simply get back into the pose and try again.
Frequently Asked Questions
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
If you ask a beginner yogi to make a list of common yoga equipment, nine...
Leggings are, without a doubt, the best article of clothing for practicing yoga. Ideally, they...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
- Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose With Lateral Leg Position
- Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose With A Strap
- Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose On A Chair
- Reclining Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose
- Extended Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose With Bent Knee
Top Preparatory Pose
- Mountain Pose
- Tree Pose
- High Lunge Pose
- Pyramid Pose
- Standing Splits Pose