Triangle Pose - Trikonasana
In Sanskrit, ‘tri’ = ‘three’, ‘kona’ = ‘angle, corners’, ‘asana’ = ‘posture’. Hence Trikonasana just means ‘three corners’ and the English title is Triangle Pose. This is a standing basic beginner level yoga pose and forms part of almost all styles of yoga. A great way to open the hips, while also stretching the muscles around the spine. Compared to the practice of Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose), this requires more flexibility of the hips and the side abdominal muscles.
Triangle Pose is considered a base pose as triangle pose variations can be derived from this pose.
- Difficulty: Beginners, Intermediate
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Shoulder Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Body Position: Lateral Bend Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Anxiety And Panic Attack, Yoga Poses For Digestion, Yoga Poses For Neck Pain, Yoga Poses For Sciatica, Yoga Poses For Stress Relief, Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
Benefits and Contraindications
Stretches and strengthens the thighs, knees, and ankles
Stretches the hips, groins, hamstrings, and calves; shoulders, chest, and spine
Stimulates the abdominal organs
Helps relieve stress
Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
Relieves backache, especially through second trimester of pregnancy
Therapeutic for anxiety, flat feet, infertility, neck pain, osteoporosis, and sciatica
Low blood pressure
Heart Condition: Practice against a wall. Keep the top arm on the hip.
High blood pressure: Turn the head to gaze downward in the final pose.
Neck problems: Don’t turn your head to look upward; continue looking straight ahead and keep both sides of the neck evenly long.
Photo poses in different angles
So this asana really isn’t all about getting your bottom arm to the ground. It doesn’t matter if your hand gets close to the ground or not. Remember, that Trikonasana is about stretching the side body and aligning the torso with the front leg.
However, if you feel instability in this pose you can modify it by using props.
Here are some ways to modify the pose using props:
- Using a block: Place a block on the ground next to your front foot and use it to support your hand if you can’t reach the ground. You can adjust the height of the block as needed to find the most comfortable position.
- Using a chair: Stand with your back to a chair, and place your hand on the back of the chair as you lower into the pose. This can be a good option if you have difficulty balancing or if you need extra support.
- Using a strap: Place a strap around your front foot and hold onto the ends of the strap with your hands. This can help to deepen the stretch in your legs and hips, and can also be a good option if you have tight hamstrings or limited flexibility.
- Using a wall: Stand with your back against a wall, and use the wall to support your hand as you lower into the pose. This can help to improve your balance and stability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can modify Triangle Pose by using a block or chair to bring the floor closer to you. Place the block on the floor on the inside of your front foot, and rest your hand on the block instead of your shin, ankle, or the floor.
To deepen the stretch in Triangle Pose, focus on lengthening both sides of your waist, reaching your top hand towards the ceiling, and drawing your bottom shoulder back. You can also use a strap around your top arm to help you reach further.
If you have low blood pressure, it’s best to be cautious when practicing Triangle Pose, as it can cause dizziness or lightheadedness. You can modify the pose by placing your hand on a block or chair instead of reaching down towards the floor, and by coming up slowly and mindfully.
If you’re pregnant, it’s important to consult with a qualified yoga teacher or healthcare provider before practicing Triangle Pose. You may need to modify the pose or avoid it altogether, depending on your individual needs and trimester.
Hold Triangle Pose for 5-10 breaths on each side, or as long as you feel comfortable.
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
If you ask a beginner yogi to make a list of common yoga equipment, nine...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
Too many fitness bags look cute but just never seem to have enough storage, especially...
- Triangle Pose Variation Hand On Shin
- Revolved Triangle Pose Against Wall
- Triangle Pose Chair Against Wall
- Revolved Triangle Pose
- Triangle Pose With Block
Top Preparatory Poses
- Mountain Pose
- Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Peaceful Warrior Pose