Cow Face Pose With Eagle Arms - Gomukha Hasta Garuda Asana
Cow Face Pose With Eagle Arms or Gomukha Hasta Garuda Asana is a great posture that works as a deep hip opener by stretching the piriformis, gluteal muscles and outer legs. At the same time, it stretches the upper back and shoulders, improves posture, and strengthens the spine.
This seated posture works both the upper and lower body, making it perfect for anyone looking to work on their flexibility.
- Difficulty: Beginners
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses
- Body Position: Seated Yoga Poses
Benefits and Contraindications
Stretches ankles, hips, thighs, shoulders, triceps, and chest.
Stretches latissimus dorsi, and intercostal muscles between the ribs
Knee or shoulder injuries
Injury to muscle, ligaments and tendons of legs
Serious neck injury
Modifications, Props and Tips
- If you have tight shoulders, keep your arms uncrossed and simply hold onto opposite shoulders.
- If your hips are tight, sit on a block or folded blanket to elevate your hips.
- If your knees are uncomfortable, sit on a bolster or cushion to support your hips.
- Use strap, towel, or block to hold onto if your hands don’t reach.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a shoulder or neck injury, be gentle and mindful of your range of motion. Avoid the pose if it causes pain or discomfort. You can modify the pose by keeping your arms uncrossed and simply holding onto opposite shoulders.
Hold the pose for 5-10 deep breaths, then release and repeat on the other side. You can gradually increase the hold time as your body becomes more comfortable with the pose.
It is best to consult with a healthcare provider before practicing Cow Face Pose with Eagle Arms during pregnancy. Modifications may be necessary to ensure comfort and safety for both you and the baby.
You may need a strap, towel, or block to hold onto if your hands don’t reach. You may also want a blanket or cushion to sit on if your hips need extra support.
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
- Cow Face Pose
- Cow Face Pose With A Blanket And A Strap