Thread The Needle Pose - Urdhva Mukha Pasasana
Thread The Needle Pose or Urdhva Mukha Pasasana is a simple posture that provides a gentle and effective release for the back and upper body through a twist. It is a useful posture for stretching the arms, chest and neck. It also has a number of therapeutic benefits for those suffering with pain or tightness in the upper body.
This yoga posture can give you a great stretch through the chest and shoulders. It also requires a gentle twisting motion that can help stretch and loosen the muscles in the low back. If you are dealing with chronic shoulder or back pain, this posture can help gently loosen the muscles and relieve tension.
Thread The Needle Pose may also be known as Reverse Table Top Twist Pose.
- Body Position: Arm & Leg Support, Twist Yoga Poses
- Difficulty: Beginners
- By Type: Chest Opening Yoga Poses, Flexibility Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Anxiety And Panic Attack, Yoga Poses For Digestion, Yoga Poses For Neck Pain, Yoga Poses For Stress Relief
Benefits and Contraindications
Help relieve chronic shoulder and back pain
Stretches intercostal muscles between the rib cage thus help in improving the lung's capacity
Twists the thoracic region of the spine
Stretches the upper and outer muscles of the shoulder such as rhomboid major, deltoid, and trapezius muscle
High blood pressure
Knee, neck, shoulder, back, or spinal injury
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications and Props for Beginners
- Place a pillow or blanket under your ear and/or shoulder if the surface is too rough or hard.
- Place a pillow or double fold the mat under your knee cap if you feel discomfort.
- You can use a block under the shoulder for elevation in case you can’t reach the floor yet.
- Press a block or pillow between the inner thighs to help keep your hips square and elevated.
- Do not rush through the movement to stretch too quickly. Rather, move slowly into the pose, and perform each movement smoothly.
- During the pose, make sure not to keep your hips forward, as that can put pressure on your neck, and displace the stretch intended for your shoulder.
- Your spine should be in a neutral position throughout the pose. It should never hunch or flex during the stretch.
- Do not overstretch your muscles. Overstretching can cause a strain or sprain in the spine. Make sure to take the stretch as easily and smoothly as possible.
- The ‘thread the needle’ pose is a deep stretch, so it’s important to breathe during the entire stretching session.
- Make sure to inhale as you lift, and exhale as you go deeper into the stretch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thread the Needle pose primarily stretches the shoulders, upper back, and neck.
Yes, Thread the Needle pose is suitable for beginners as it is a gentle stretch and can be easily modified to suit your level of flexibility.
Yes, Thread the Needle pose can help alleviate shoulder pain by stretching and releasing tension in the shoulders and upper back.
Hold Thread the Needle pose for 5-10 breaths on each side, or longer if it feels comfortable.
Thread the Needle pose is generally safe during pregnancy but should be modified to avoid putting pressure on the belly. Consult with your healthcare provider before attempting any yoga pose during pregnancy.
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
Leggings are, without a doubt, the best article of clothing for practicing yoga. Ideally, they...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
- Thread The Needle Pose With A Blanket
- Thread The Needle Pose With a Block
- Extended Puppy Pose
Top Preparatory Poses
- Cat Cow Pose
- Child Pose
- Table Top Pose
- Table Top Twist Pose