Dolphin Plank Pose - Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana
Dolphin Plank Pose, Forearm Plank Pose or Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana (MAH-kar-ah ah-doh moo-kuh SVAH-NAH-sah-nah) is a yogic way of strengthening the body head-to-toe. This arm balancing pose gives a break to your wrists from the daily chores.
It is an intermediate-level variation of the basic Dolphin Pose as it balances the entire body weight on the forearms and toes. Hence, the Dolphin plank pose targets muscles of the core, shoulders, arms, and upper back.
Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana is quite similar to the plank pose with the only difference of balancing the weight on the forearms rather than the hands. Therefore, only the toes and the forearms lie on the floor while the entire body is lifted and aligned straight.
Besides strengthening and toning the body, practicing Makara Adho Mukha Svanasana opens the path of enlightenment focusing on activating energy chakras.
- Body Position: Arm & Leg Support
- By Type: Balancing Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Difficulty: Beginners, Intermediate
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Stress Relief, Yoga Poses For Weight Loss
Benefits and Contraindications
Strengthens the abdominals, arms, shoulders, and chest
Relieves stress and mild depression
Stretches the hamstrings, calves, and arches of the feet
Shoulder, neck, or spinal injuries
High blood pressure
Eye or ear infections
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props and Tips
- You can place a rolled-up towel or blanket underneath your elbows for support.
- You can also try this pose with your knees on the floor until you build up more strength in your arms and shoulders.
- Keep your head in line with your spine; don’t let it droop down or tilt upwards.
- Make sure that all of your muscles are engaged when holding the pose, especially those in the core region. This will help prevent any injuries and ensure that you’re getting the most out of the posture.
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
As a man exploring yoga, you may feel at times as though you’re taking a...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...