Head-to-Knee Pose A - Janu Sirsasana
Head-to-Knee Pose or Janu Sirsasana (JAH-new shear-SHAHS-anna ) is appropriate for students of any level and melds a forward bend with a spinal twist. It can help calm your mind as well as stretch your body. As you fold forward, close your eyes and cultivate a sense of inner peace. The more you practice Janu Sirsasana, the more you will realize that the goal of this posture is not about touching your toes—it’s about slowing down, focusing on your breath, and calming your mind.
Also known as: Head of the knee pose, Head-on-knee pose, Head-to-knee forward bend, Head-to-knee pose, Janu Sirsasana
- Difficulty: Beginners
- By Type: Flexibility Yoga Poses, Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Body Position: Seated Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Stress Relief
Benefits and Contraindications
Stretches the hips, back of the body and groins
Relieves menstrual discomfort
Stimulates the kidneys and liver
Calms the mind
Knee, hip, or rib injury
Low back pathologies
Photo poses in different angles
Modifications, Props and Tips
- Use a folded blanket under your hips to help keep a forward tilt of your pelvis.
- Place a folded blanket under your extended knee to offer support, especially if the knee doesn’t readily touch the ground.
- Loop a strap around the foot of your extended leg to deepen the stretch in the hamstrings while keeping the spine long.
- To deepen the stretch and increase the intensity of this pose, widen the space between your knees.
Frequently Asked Questions
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...
You do not compulsorily need anything more than your body, breath, and a room spacious...
The art of yoga is a special one and those who enjoy practicing on their...
Do yourself a favor and ignore the yoga snobs – using a cork yoga block...
- Seated Half Lotus Forward Bend Pose
- Revolved Head-to-Knee Pose