In Sanskrit, ‘purva’ = ‘east’, ‘ut tan’ = ‘intense stretch’ and ‘asana’ = ‘posture’. In yogic language the front part of the body right from tips of the toes to the crown of the head is considered the east. Hence, in Purva ut tan asana = East Intense stretch posture, of in other words Upward Plank Pose, the entire front portion of the body is stretched to the maximum in a slight back bend. It is just the opposite side of the body which is stretched and hence related to the Plank Pose. This pose is generally practiced after Paschimottanasana.
Upward Plank Pose is considered a base pose as upward plank pose variations can be derived from this pose.Upward Plank Pose helps boost energy in the body and hence can be included in flow yoga sequences.
- Body Position: Abdominal Up
- Difficulty: Intermediate
- Poses According To Their Functions: Physical Training
- Strengthening Yoga Poses: Poses For Arms Strengthening, Poses For Body Strengthening, Poses For Legs Strengthening, Poses For Neck Strengthening
- Physical Training: Strengthening Yoga Poses
- Poses By Benefit: Yoga Poses for Energy
Benefits and Contraindications
Strengthens the arms, wrists and legs
Stretches the shoulders, chest, and front ankles
With a neck injury, support the head on a wall or chair seat
Photo poses in different angles
If you find this too challenging, bend your knees and lift up into a reverse tabletop. Find a hand position that suits your shoulders: fingers point forward or away from you. Engage your gluteus muscles (buttocks) to support you in this pose.
Be mindful of your neck – if there are any injuries or existing weaknesses in your neck, keep your chin to your chest. Keep your wrists directly under your shoulders in this pose.
Try moving dynamically between Purvottanasana and Dandasana a few times – creating a swinging action. Keep pressing through the hands so your hips remain off the floor in Dandasana. You can also place your hands on blocks for this variation.
- Reverse Table Top Pose Chair Hips Down
- Upward Plank Pose Aerial
- Upward Plank Pose Forearms Variation Knees Chest
- Upward Plank Pose Forearms Prep
- Double Upward Plank Pose Feet Shoulders Partner
- Upward Plank Pose One Leg Raised Wheel
- Flying Double Reverse Table Top Pose Partner
- Upward Plank Pose Hands Chair
- Susan Pose Aerial
- Reverse Table Top Pose Legs In Figure Four
- Upward Plank Pose Foot On Knee
- Seated Forward Bend Pose
- Staff Pose
- Table Top Poae
- Staff Pose
- Bridge Pose
- Boat Pose