Marichi’s Pose B - Marichyasana B
Marichi’s Pose B or Marichyasana B (mah-rich-yee-ah-SAH-na) is the second in a set of poses that use binding, twisting, and bending to access areas of the body that not many postures manage. If you struggle with external hip rotation (it’s uncomfortable to sit cross-legged on the floor) then you may want to change the position of the leg in lotus or try some other postures to help with that tightness first.
- Difficulty: Advanced
- Body Position: Forward Bend Yoga Poses, Seated Yoga Poses
- By Type: Hip Opening Yoga Poses, Strengthening Yoga Poses
- By Benefit: Yoga Poses For Digestion
Benefits and Contraindications
Keeps the spine healthy and mobile
Stimulates and strengthens the muscles around the ribs and back
Improves posture and breathing
Opens the shoulders
Massages the abdomen which may help with digestion and elimination
Slipped/herniated disc, and sciatica
Modifications, Props and Tips
- To achieve a long twist in the back without hurting the neck, keep the back Of your neck in alignment with your spine and turn your head last.
- In case you are finding it difficult to do asana, Place a folded blanket under your hip and then proceed with the twist and forward fold for Marichyasana.
- Increased hip level contributes to more flexibility in the back and hamstrings. Additionally, it facilitates the twist by easing the groynes and buttock rotation.
The yoga blanket is an accessory every yogi needs. Whether you’re more experienced or just...